Thursday, July 21, 2011

The San Antonio River, Park Segment, Part 2

Of course, it just wouldn't be the San Antonio River without a yellow-crowned night heron.

More photos from yesterday evening:












I have previously written about my fascination with trees. It is probably obvious to regular viewers of this blog that I also have a fascination with streams, creeks and rivers. As with the trees, this goes back to my childhood.

I grew up in and around St. Louis and Columbia, Mo. Hinkson Creek, which is comparable in size to the San Antonio River, flows across property my family owned just north of Columbia. Both the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers are a fundamental part of the lore and culture of the region.

I am generally not consciously aware of my childhood memories, but there is something reassuring and calming for me when I am walking the waterway trails. I look forward to eventually adding the Leon Creek and Medina River Greenways to the trails I have covered for While on a Walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment