Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Greater Roadrunner

On my walk on Wednesday, August 24 on the Leon Creek Greenway just north of Babcock Rd at Bamberger Nature Park, one of the multitude of creatures I happened across was this Greater Roadrunner.

I haven't figured out why it's called a Greater Roadrunner, because there apparently isn't a lesser version. They are fairly large birds. In real life roadrunners don't go "Beep, beep!" They make a cooing sound similar to a dove, but with a distinctive twist. I could hear this roadrunner, but it took me awhile to find it amidst the branches, because it was so well camouflaged in the tree.

Which brings me to another point. According to the National Geographic's Field Guide to the Birds of North America, the greater roadrunner is "a large, ground-dwelling cuckoo… ." All of the roadrunners I have seen previously have been on the ground or on roof tops. While I was photographing it, this one stayed in the trees, running along the branches and hopping from branch to branch. Apparently it hasn't read the book.






















No comments:

Post a Comment