Monday, September 19, 2011

Hardberger Park, Water Loop Trail, A Beautiful Afternoon Walk

Today's photos:























What an absolutely beautiful afternoon for a walk! My biggest challenge was trying to decide which of at least a half dozen trails I would most like to see the day after it had rained three days in a row in San Antonio.

We were well into the drought when I had walked the Water Loop Trail at Hardberger Park on July 6. The summer heat was just beginning to take its toll, but I could tell then that the Water Loop Trail is one of the best nature trails in the area. More than any of the other trails I have walked, I really wanted to see what impact the rain had on this trail.

The weekend rain hasn't ended the drought by any means. In spite of the 2.79 inches of rain that fell this weekend, we are still short of the average September rainfall and about thirteen inches below the annual normal rainfall to date.

The South Texas ecosystem is remarkably resilient. This resilience was clearly evident along the trail this afternoon. All of creation seemed to be celebrating the rain.

2 comments:

  1. On the first photo: Don't fight the morass of trees and branches and intersecting lines - shoot right into them. Accept them. (A lesson I learned from telephone lines in Mexico). Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Robert. In the first photo, it was the play of light in the tall grass that attracted my attention. I think the relatively parallel and concentric lines of the trees and branches is compositionally effective.

    On the other hand, "the morass of… branches" definitely applies to the first two deer photos. I had seen her run into the underbrush from a distance and knew about where she was. When I got closer, it was like she was playing hide and go seek. It was a major challenge to find an angle where she could be seen well enough to tell there was a deer in the "morass" in the photos.

    ReplyDelete