Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Medina River Greenway, El Chaparral Trailhead, East

Today's photos:























I was quite pleased to see the impact the recent rain and cooler temperatures have had on the Medina River basin. What was becoming dangerously dry on my previous visit to the greenway Monday, September 5, is once again green and vibrant.

It occurred to me that here in South Texas in most years we have a "second spring." Plants that have dried out in the typical summer heat and dry spell begin to send out new growth in the autumn when the rain returns and temperatures drop.

Today I managed to walk from the trailhead in the Medina River Natural Area to where I had turned back on my walk on Friday, August 19, so in two walks I have now covered the entire distance between the El Chaparral Trailhead and the Old Applewhite Road Trailhead, a total distance of 2.83 miles (one way). And once again I have so many photos from today's walk, it was a challenge editing them down to what will fit in a single post. I will be posting one additional set from this walk in the near future.

This section of the greenway trail is on the high ground well above the Medina River's channel. It is a very different ecosystem from the riparian environment of the Natural Area's lower trails. Today, the cool air with the brisk west-northwest wind added to the experience of the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment