Monday, October 17, 2011

Jack Judson Nature Trails, Olmos Basin (in Alamo Heights), A Return Visit

Today's photos:


















As I had mentioned in the post for my walk of the Judson Nature Trails on Friday, June 24, the trees and tree canopy in this location are genuinely awe inspiring. With the rain we have had in the past six weeks or so, the canopy is even greener than it was in June. The trees here are some of the tallest in Bexar County giving one an overwhelming experience of the vertical.

Perhaps my love of trees dominates what I see along these trails. Since the trails are maintained by the San Antonio Audubon Society, I have hoped to at least catch a glimpse particularly of some of the smaller birds that live in the area. So far, no such luck. I did manage to get a photo of a cardinal on my walk in June.

Today, I caught a very brief glimpse of a cardinal and two red-winged blackbirds and I heard a bluejay hiding somewhere in the foliage, but no birds made an appearance long enough for me to get a photo. I have a suspicion that the birds are more numerous and visible in this area in the early spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment