Tuesday, September 13, 2011

More Dragons of Bexar County

I might have mentioned it in a previous post, but I am surprised how well dragonflies and damselflies appear to be doing in spite of the drought. As a matter of fact, I have so many photos of them, I will be doing several more posts that feature these fascinating creatures.

Almost all the photos I have of them are when they are perching. I'm getting better at photographing them in flight, but it isn't easy. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that their average flight speed is about 25 mph and can reach speeds up to 50 mph. Trying to follow, much less focus, a telephoto lens on an insect flying at those speeds is quite a feat. 

This series of photos of dragonflies (no damsels in this series) was taken on my walk on August 24 on the Leon Creek Greenway south from the Bamberger Nature Park Trailhead:














No comments:

Post a Comment