Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Couple of Caracaras

I think I have mentioned somewhere that on my walk through Bamberger Nature Park and the Leon Creek Greenway on Wednesday, August 24, it seemed like every creature and its cousin was showing up for my camera.

There is a dirt trail that goes north off the paved trail in the park just before it intersects the main greenway trail. As I was passing this dirt trail, I happened to look up to the tops of the trees. Sitting at the top of one of the tallest trees were two crested caracaras.

I had seen a caracara in the creek bed on my walk the Monday before. According to the literature, caracaras are falcons that spend most of their time on the ground. While caracaras generally build their nests at the tops of tall trees, from what I could see, these two were no where near a nest.

The two seemed to be surveying what was happening around them and, I would like to think, enjoying the view:










No comments:

Post a Comment