Monday, August 1, 2011

Crescent Bend Nature Park; Schertz, Texas; An Evening Walk

This evening's photos:



















Over the weekend, I was doing some research online regarding San Antonio Parks and Recreation's natural areas. I happened across a link for Crescent Bend Nature Park in Schertz on Cibolo Creek. I was immediately intrigued with the story behind this park that opened to the public in September 2009.

From the 1970's until the great flood of 1998, this was the Lakeview Subdivision located along a bend in the creek putting it well within the 100 year flood plain. The flood wiped out the subdivision that was trying to rebuild following a lesser flood the previous year.

The San Antonio River Authority with funds from a FEMA grant bought the land and donated it to Bexar County for the development of the nature park. The park is currently owned by Bexar County and maintained by the Schertz Parks Department. Full ownership of the park will eventually be given to Schertz.

I found the park had something of a strange feeling as it is being returned to its natural state. The asphalt streets complete with street signs and many utility lines remain as reminders of its recent history. As a matter of fact, when I was trying to locate the park on both Mapquest and Google Maps, I was thrown off because both still show the park as if it were a current subdivision, although on the satellite view there are obviously no houses remaining.

I had planned on walking the park this morning, but once again life happened. I was intrigued enough with the park this evening, I am sure I will be returning when I have more time to explore this natural area in transition. 

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering about the history of this park myself and I found your blog, thanks for your info.

    ReplyDelete