Friday, May 20, 2011

Brackenridge Park, Part 1

This morning was a challenge. There was a chance of rain, although my gut feeling with forty years of living in San Antonio was that rain would be a long shot. Not that there wasn't high humidity. One could ring the water out of the air with a towel.


Anyone who has lived in South Texas for any length of time knows (or should know) not to be in a gully (i.e. creek bed) if there is a reasonable chance of a "gully washer" upstream. Drowning in flash floods is the leading cause of weather related deaths here. With that in mind, I decided to play it safe and head to higher ground for my walk today instead of going on one of the greenway trails.


I haven't been to Brackenridge Park in something like twenty or twenty-five years, so I decided to make it today's location. While the San Antonio River flows through the park, it is close enough to Olmos Dam that flash flooding isn't a major risk even in a heavy thunderstorm. As it turned out, rain didn't become a factor at all.


I began my walk along the Wilderness Trail walking south toward Mulberry Avenue and returned to the parking lot on the Wildlife Trail. Those trail names may seem a bit of hyperbole, but about two-thirds of the park is urban forest right in the middle of the seventh largest city in the U.S. The San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department is making a concerted effort towards restoring this part of the park to as natural a South Texas ecosystem as is possible given the circumstances.


I am dividing this post into two parts with the photos along these two trails in this first part. Next week, probably on Thursday, I will post the second part. After I returned to the car, I decided to spend a half hour or so along the river. I think it will be obvious from the photos why I am dividing them into two entries.


So for today, here are the Brackenridge woodlands:








 Photos like the one above really need to be seen as large prints to do them justice.




These last two photos are reddish cattle egrets.* There is a very large colony living in the park.


"While on a Walk" will be taking weekends off, so be sure to stop back by Monday evening for the next entry.

*My bird identification source was in error and these are, in fact, cattle egrets. Cattle egrets have an orange tent on the wings and orange on the top of their heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment