Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Look Again

When I first came around a curve in the trail and saw this butterfly on the flowers I was certain it was a Pearl Crescent on White Boneset (Eupatorium serotinum). It wasn't until I got close enough to begin taking the photographs that I realized it is actually a Phaon Crescent on White Mistflower (Ageratina havanensis):






The differences between the two crescent butterflies and between the two plants are obvious on close inspection, but if I had casually walked by, they are similar enough I would not have realized what I had actually seen.

The larval host plant for the Phaon Crescent is Frogfruit.

This set of photographs was taken on the Salado Creek Greenway trail at the Lady Bird Johnson Park Trailhead on Monday, November 11, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment