Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Tale of Two Buckeye (Butterflies)

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

On my walk along the Leon Creek Greenway yesterday (April 1, 2013), I encountered and photographed three Buckeye butterflies. The first was perched on top of a rock with its wings folded. This is easily identified as a Buckeye even with its wings folded, as the characteristic eyespot and pair of orange squiggly lines are clearly visible on the forewing:


I encountered the other two later in my walk. Both were perched on the ground with their wings spread. Again, I immediately recognized both as Buckeyes. The first of these two is a Common Buckeye. These are the ones typically seen here in Texas and throughout much of the U.S.:



The second of the two I also immediately recognized as a Buckeye. The eyespots and pair of orange squiggly lines of the genus Junonia are quite obvious. But this one didn't quite look like any Common Buckeye I have ever seen before. Granted, in quite a few butterfly species there can be a surprising range of variation in individual appearance. However, this Buckeye was one of the most beautiful butterflies I have ever seen, quite literally stunning:




There are, in fact, three species of Junonia in the United States. The Mangrove Buckeye, Junonia genoveva, only live in the coastal areas of Florida. The Common Buckeye, Junonia coenia, can be found almost anywhere in the U.S. except the Rocky Mountains.

The third Buckeye is the one I encountered here. This is a Tropical Buckeye, Junonia evarete. These Tropical Buckeye rarely wander north of the Mexican border, but have occasionally been reported in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. This is no April Fool's joke. I can now report having seen and photographed one here in Bexar County.

No comments:

Post a Comment