Sunday, January 27, 2013

Leave Only Footprints, Take Only Photos; A Sunday Special Edition

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Leave Only Footprints, Take Only Photos
"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before."  -  Robert Wilson Lynd






The first and most fundamental rule of nature hiking is to "leave only footprints and take only photos." It occurred to me when I was editing the photos from my walk in Mud Creek Park Friday (January 25, 2013) that vultures are the epitome of this maxim: "leave no trace."

I am very tempted to climb on the soapbox and go off on a tangent here, but I suspect I would only be preaching to the choir. Put very simply, carelessly discarding plastic beverage bottles and cans is disgraceful. Tagging is abhorrent.

Anyway, I could never have imagined referring to anything related to vultures as "cute", and maybe that isn't quite the right word here, but this pair makes me think of a couple that has been together for a very long time sitting on a park bench. The interaction between the two says more than I could ever hope to write. I will let the photos of this pair of black vultures tell their own story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment