Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Government Canyon State Natural Area, Frontcountry, Lytle's Loop Trail, A Short Introductory Walk

Monday, November 21, 2011

Today's photos:























I arrived later in the afternoon at Government Canyon State Natural Area (SNA) than I had planned, so today's walk was a bit shorter than most of my recent ones. The SNA is divided into three areas: Frontcountry, Backcountry and the Protected Habitat Area. The Frontcountry is relatively level compared to the other two areas. My walk today was a very short section of the Lytle Loop Trail crossing Government Canyon Creek and a short distance along the south side of the creek.

The only other comment I need to add is that, unlike all the other trails I have walked thus far, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department charges an entry fee to the state parks and SNA's. In the interest of full disclosure, I am exempt from the fee given my status as a disabled veteran. [One more thing I forgot to include: Government Canyon SNA is open Friday through Monday and closed Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.]

As usual, the photos tell the story.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm amazed because these photographs are evidence that even as autumn dances in and out in South Texas, life thrives.

    I love today's series as these photographs are about such small examples of the natural world, yet are made rich by your images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, bluebirdblvd. What I find somewhat amazing is, not only is life thriving in the autumn, it has made a remarkable, if as yet tentative, comeback from the heat and drought of this past summer.

    ReplyDelete