Monday, September 26, 2011

Leon Creek Greenway, Mainland Trailhead, North to Leon Vista Park (And Back)

Today's photos:























I am still recovering from Friday's walk at Friedrich Park. The Leon Creek Greenway trail from the Mainland trailhead north to the Leon Vista Park, other than some ADA level 2 grades (between 5 and 8.3%), was a good walk to work off some of the stiffness remaining from the previous walk. Once again I walked north on the paved trail and returned on the natural surface trail along the creek bed.

Even though it was another day where the temperature topped out at 100 degrees (F), all of creation seemed to be celebrating the onset of autumn. In spite of the heat, a refreshingly cool breeze blew up the creek bed.

The pair of fox squirrels were squirreling away food for the winter as squirrels are known to do. The fawn was with the larger herd of deer, but lingered briefly to check out what I was doing after the rest had headed into the dense brush.

As can be seen in the photos there is still an occasional small pool of water left in the creek from the rain just over a week ago. Birds of many species, not the least of which was a male lesser goldfinch, were quenching their thirst at the water's edge. I have another set of photos of a pair of wrens that I'll be posting at a future date.

I was reminded of the Navajo Beautyway chant:

With beauty before me, I walk.
With beauty behind me, I walk.
With beauty above me, I walk.
With beauty below me, I walk.
With beauty all around me, I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, I walk.
With beauty radiating from within, it is finished.
In beauty it is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment