Thursday, August 18, 2011

Medina River Natural Area; El Chaparral > Olmos Spur > (Upper) Rio Medina Trails

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Today's photos:























Some schools started back this week and the rest begin next week. I'm not sure how much that had to do with it, but, other than the employees, I had the entire park to myself this morning. And not encountering any other people on the trails seemed to add a whole new dimension to the experience.

I began the walk along the El Chaparral Trail. One thing I learned from my previous walks at the Medina River Natural Area is that the tree canopy along this trail is thin and in many sections nonexistent, so it is better to walk this section early. Also, the Olmos Spur Trail is a steep descent from the El Chaparral to the Rio Medina Trail. Even though it has been stepped, it is easier to descend than ascend.

I walked back towards the park entrance when I reached the Rio Medina Trail, so I was on the upper level of the loop above the river. However, at the end of the loop, the trail follows the river bank back most of the way to the park entrance, so there are a few more photos along the water's edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment