Monday, July 25, 2011

McAllister Park, Walk #5

Today's photos:




















So, this morning it was back to McAllister Park to walk the last section of trail I had intended to cover last week. Where walk #4 on Monday of last week was along the west side of Mud Creek, I walked the east side today. This side of the creek has mesquite savanna mixed with oak thickets.

I did see one family of four deer. The youngest fawn seemed unusually curious about what I was doing, but I didn't try to get photos of them. There was also a small rabbit that apparently had absolutely no interest in sticking around to be photographed as it made a mad dash into the underbrush as soon as I saw it.

This is probably as good a time as any to state another obvious fact. Ideally this type of walk should begin at sunrise. For whatever reason, my body function is virtually non-existent that early in the morning. I am usually getting to the trailhead between ten and eleven.

If I can't start the walk by eleven, then I opt for an evening walk. In the mid-summer heat we are experiencing, even with good acclamation and plenty of water to drink, I don't advise walking between 1 and 6 pm.

2 comments:

  1. I like your Opuntia fruits, the cocklebur fruits and the buffalobur flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Floyd. Those Opuntia fruit would make a great jelly, but since they are in a nature preserve, I resisted the temptation to harvest them. While my grandfather was a botany professor, I didn't seem to inherit his talent for botanical identification. I am far better at zoological id. So, my question is, what is the plant in the two photos above the buffalobur photo?

    ReplyDelete