Friday, June 17, 2011

The San Antonio River, Museum Reach

Today's Photos:

















To finish this week on the San Antonio River theme, I returned to the Museum reach where this project began just over a month ago. Starting at the Pearl Brewery landing, I walked between Josephine St and Brooklyn Ave.

When I was looking for some information about prickly pear cactus to set up yesterday's post, I happened across a photo that was captioned "captive prickly pear." The cactus was growing in the center of a tire that had been placed flat on the ground to be used as a planter. For some reason, calling the cactus "captive" struck me as odd, but I guess it was accurate in the sense that the cactus wasn't growing in the wild.

In a similar sense, I guess, the Museum Reach of the San Antonio River could be called "captive." The river is highly channeled for both flood control and recreational use. The plants growing on the banks are for the most part native plants specifically planted to enhance the quality of the environment. Despite the captive condition of the river, it still supports a wide variety of wildlife as can be seen in today's photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment