Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Salado Creek Greenway, Lady Bird Johnson Park Trailhead, Northwest, Part 2

Friday May 27, 2011

During the walk this past Friday, I was delighted to be able to experience the presence of even a wider variety of birds than I had the previous Friday in Brackenridge Park. I am tempted to write in detail about each one, such as the fact that the swallows, of which there were three different species: barn, cave and cliff, can fly at up to 55 mph and make a seemingly instantaneous 180 degree turn without appearing to slow down.

But then, I would write far too much. It would only distract from the awe-inspiring impact of the experience. So, I will restrain myself and only introduce you to my feathered companions as we encounter them, adding a brief comment where appropriate.

First, there is the near silhouette of a mourning dove backlit by the early morning sky.



A red-shouldered hawk sat on the branch of a dead tree more than a quarter mile from where I was standing. In all honesty, I heard the hawk but didn't see it. I took a photo in the direction of its distinctive cry. It wasn't until later when I looked at the enlarged photo that I realized from where I had been standing, the hawk had looked like part of the tree.



Barn swallows were in abundance flying low over the ground in their characteristic fashion as they feasted on insects.



Apparently the cardinals have sensed what I wrote in an earlier post about not having any success in photographing them and no longer want to be left out.



A pair of black-bellied whistling ducks were in no rush and posed for their portraits. This was the first time I actually heard the ducks. The sound they make, while it is a stretch to call it a whistle, is more of a whistle than a quack.




Then there was this yellow-crowned night heron. He was as interested in what I was doing as I was in him. He reminded me of a diva getting a headshot for a major production. (And I have photographed a few of them in my career. (divas, not night herons))







There were a few red-winged blackbirds along the trail. This one sat in the tree long enough for me to get a photo, but like the hawk, he was a bit far away.



The black vulture made a surprise appearance when I reached the high point of the trail where it leaves the creek bed and crosses the northeast corner of the airport just past Wetmore Road. Unlike the very common turkey vulture, the black vulture is relatively rare in San Antonio. When in flight, many people mistake it for an eagle, because its wing conformation is more like a raptor and not at all like the turkey vulture's characteristic dihedral wing span.




Under both the Nacogdoches and Wetmore Road bridges, the cave swallows and cliff swallows were plentiful. First is the cave swallow and then the cliff swallow. Both of these were under the Wetmore Road bridge. The cave swallow had just come out of a turn, so was moving a bit slower than the cliff swallow as is evident from the motion blur of the latter.




Even though I had walked further than I intended, spending just over two and a half hours on the trail, this was truly a rewarding experience well worth the effort.



No comments:

Post a Comment