Monday, May 30, 2011

John James Park

Although today is Memorial Day, I felt I needed to go for a walk this morning as my body is still adapting to the new routine. So, this morning's walk was in John James Park on Rittiman Road. Salado Creek is its eastern boundary. The park is where the Salado Creek Greenway ends before the creek crosses the north end of Ft Sam Houston. As a matter of fact, the park is on land that Ft Sam Houston donated to the city in 1973. The San Antonio Audubon Society had an excellent article describing the park in a 2006 newsletter, so for more information click here.

One thing I encountered along the trail that is not included in the photos were riders from the Ft Sam Houston Equestrian Center which connects to the park by way of dirt trails along the creek. The horses were a bit skittish when they unexpectedly happened on a hiker and I have found that animals in general are wary of my forearm crutches. So I backed off the side of the trail, greeting the riders as they passed and didn't take any photos of them.

There are basically two natural ecosystems in Bexar County: the hill country ecosystem in the northern and northwestern part of the county and the brush country ecosystem in the remainder of the county. The transition is gradual. John James Park is more typical of the brush country than the hill country ecosystem.


















Tomorrow's post will be part 2 of the photos I took this past Friday, May 27th along the wetland area of the creek northwest of Nacogdoches Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment