Sunday, September 29, 2013

I'll Trust the Experts' Word On This One

Not all hawks are birds. Take, for example, the Tarantula Hawk wasp (Pepsis sp.). These are among the largest of wasps; up to just over two inches long for adult females. The larval host for these wasps are spiders stung and paralyzed by the adult female. The adults, however, feed on flower nectar.

This Tarantula Hawk is enjoying the nectar of the Marsh Fleabane growing abundantly along the bank of the river:




I happened across one bit of trivia about the Tarantula Hawk in one of my references that I find of particular interest. These wasps rarely sting humans and will only do so if provoked. On the rare occasion when they do sting, it is said to be the second most painful insect sting of any in the world. I don't think that is something I want to personally test to find out if it's true.

(Apparently, the most painful insect sting is caused by the Bullet Ant. These ants live in the rain forests of Central and South America. I think this ant's name says it all.)

These photographs were taken along the Mission Reach of the San Antonio River downstream from the Roosevelt Park Trailhead on Friday, September 13, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment