Friday, March 1, 2013

Continuous Adaptation, Celebrating the 500th Post, Featuring The Red-tailed Hawk at Elmendorf Lake

Thursday, February 28, 2013

One year, nine months and two weeks after beginning While on a Walk, this blog has reached its 500th post. I gather from my blogging friends this is something of a major accomplishment. It has certainly been a test of endurance and persistence.

I had know idea when I began the blog on May 15, 2011 how long it would last or where it would take me. Where it has taken me is on one of the most incredible journeys I could have ever imagined. As far as I can see now, the journey will continue for quite some time.

There is no "are we there yet?" The journey is about process, not destination. One thing I can say with relative certainty is that, as with life itself, the process is one of continuous adaptation.

While on a Walk originated from my simple need to remain active, physically and mentally, following retirement. As it has turned out, I am far more active now than I ever was when I was working. The blog has actually become something of a supplement to all those other activities. In this regard, it has also become a way for me to document the flora and fauna I encounter living in Bexar County.

More importantly, While on a Walk has been and will continue to be a celebration of life through a love of nature and the wildlife living here. If Austinites want to "Keep Austin Weird" that's fine with me. I would much prefer to "Keep San Antonio Wild".

I probably should have given more thought as to which photos to include in this 500th post, but I have to admit, it rather snuck up on me. I was thinking I would reach 500 early next week, but here I am already. Fortunately, I do have any number of series of photographs from previous walks that I have yet to publish.

Among all these photos are three or four more series of birds at Elmendorf Lake. Given my love of the raptors and especially my identification with red-shouldered and red-tailed hawks, I decided it would be particularly relevant to feature in this post the juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk* I photographed on my walk around the lake on Monday, January 7, 2013:









* Correction, May 27, 2016: In the original post this bird was incorrectly identified as a Red-tailed Hawk. The two species are very similar and, at times, easily confused with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment