Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Few Small Critters in Crownridge Canyon

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

This set of photos was taken on my walk yesterday (Monday, February 4, 2013) in the Crownridge Canyon Natural Area. Every time I have walked in this Natural Area, the trees are what have impressed me the most, but yesterday a few small critters made an appearance and paused long enough for me to get a few photos:
















  • The first three photos are of a Common Mestra butterfly. Food sources for the butterflies that are active right now tend to be far and few between which means the butterflies don't perch for very long in any one location. This common mestra hung onto the twig long enough for me to get this series of photos.
  • Photos four through nine are of a small orbweaver spider about 5 to 7 mm long. It is most likely in the Genus Neoscona. My ability to identify spiders to the level of species is very limited, but I have a moderate degree of certainty this is an Arabesque Orbweaver, Neoscona arabesca. Or at least, that's what I would like to think it is. This little spider was weaving its orb above and to the side of the trail.
  • Photos ten through fourteen are of a female Ruby-crowned Kinglet. This beautiful little bird was busy flitting around an ashe juniper picking small insects off the branches.
  • Photo fifteen appears to me to be a Sleepy Orange butterfly, Abaeis nicippe. This is one of the creatures that make me wonder how they got their common name. There was nothing "sleepy" about this butterfly at all. As a matter of fact, it barely perched in this location long enough for me to get the one photo.
  • Photo sixteen is easy to identify. It would be difficult to confuse this bright red male Northern Cardinal with any other bird, especially with its distinctive red beak.

No comments:

Post a Comment