Thursday, August 16, 2012

Back to the Beginning

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

San Antonio River, Museum Reach, The Pearl Complex Trailhead
downstream to the San Antonio Museum of Art and back 

Today's photos:















Fifteen months ago While on a Walk began with "The Inspiration" on the Museum Reach of the San Antonio River. This evening I returned to the Museum Reach not long before sunset. The light at dusk adds to the challenge of taking nature photographs, but also gives them a specific soft, warm toned visual characteristic.

Typically when I have gone on a walk this late in the evening heading into sunset, it is because my schedule during the day left me few other options. Today I had a specific goal in mind, photographing Mexican free-tailed bats. I have never tried photographing them before this evening.

Between April and October, there is a colony of approximately 20,000 male Mexican free-tailed bats living under the IH-35 bridge over the river. In the hot dry midsummer, the bats emerge from under the bridge at about sunset to begin a night of feasting on insects.

For my first attempt, I might have had a few successful photos similar to the one above. If I did, I will post them tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. THEY'RE ALL MALE!!!??? Why? Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adela, Yes, this is a bachelor colony. Bats definitely have an interesting life cycle and mating pattern. I'll explain more in my next post.

      Delete