Saturday, July 14, 2012

So Much To See Before A Storm

Friday, July 13, 2012

John James Park*, Upland natural surface and paved trails

Today's photos:




























Isolated thunderstorms were moving into the area when I left home to go for my walk this afternoon. I had occasionally been checking the weather radar and knew my time on the trail would likely be limited before the storms arrived. Once on the trail, I kept an eye on the clouds.

As can be seen in the photos, I was surrounded by the most remarkable beauty and wonder imaginable. Eventually, I could hear the distant rumble of thunder and knew it was time to return to the car. With all that I was encountering, it was difficult to force myself to turn back toward the parking lot, but getting caught out on the trail in a thunderstorm is too great a risk.

June was a very dry month. It is a welcome relief to have the rain return this month. The wildlife will continue to thrive and it will bring even more to experience on future walks.


* As a side note, due to the construction of a new, higher bridge over Salado Creek on Rittiman Rd just to the east of the entrance to John James Park, it is not easy to access the park. However, the park is still accessible and very much worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment