Saturday, July 21, 2012

"Every Second Of Every Day Is A Gift" A Special Tribute to Jessica Ghawi

Friday, July 20, 2012

McAllister Park, Mud Creek Loop Trail

Today's photos:























Friday when I left for my walk, the news of the mass shooting at the theater in Aurora, Colorado was filling the media coverage. I had heard that one of the victims was a San Antonio native named Jessica Ghawi and that she had survived the shooting at Eaton Center Mall in Toronto this past June. My psyche was (and still is) trying to process all this information.

I did not know Ms. Ghawi, but I am impressed and deeply touched by everything I have read and heard about her. After reading her own blog post, "Late Night Thoughts on the Eaton Center Shooting," I realized that her conclusion expresses my own reaction to having survived a near fatal septic infection four years ago. And it goes straight to the heart of what While on a Walk is all about. So, this post is dedicated to the memory of Jessica Ghawi.

"I was shown how fragile life was on Saturday [June 2, 2012].  … I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath.

"I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given."  -  Jessica Ghawi,  June 5, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment