Thursday, May 3, 2012

Awestruck Amongst a Multitude of Mariposas

Thursday, May 3, 2012

I have genuinely reached the point where I am at a total loss for words. I have even been struggling with how to best organize and present the photographs I have been producing on my walks. I have been truly blessed with the experience of nature's extraordinary abundance and diversity. This is especially true most recently when it comes to the butterflies.

The following photographs were taken on my walk in the Medina River Natural Area this past Friday, April 27:











Many of the common names for butterflies, or mariposas as they are beautifully referred to in Spanish, are as interesting as the insects themselves. In the order of their appearance as best as I can identify them, these are:

Pearl Crescent
White Checkered-skipper
Tawny Emperor
Tawny Emperor
Pearl Crescent
Pearl Crescent
Funereal Duskywing
Tawny Emperor
Funereal Duskywing
Little Yellow

No comments:

Post a Comment