Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dragonflies in Winter

Thursday, February 9, 2012

I hadn't seen any dragonflies since the end of November and was coming to the conclusion I likely wouldn't see them again until sometime in March. So, I was a bit surprised to see them on the Salado Creek wetland when I was there Wednesday, February 1. Granted, there was only a single species that had emerged, but they were numerous and very active:
















Feb. 10, 2012: As a footnote, there are well over 200 species of Odanata in Texas. I spent a couple hours doing a web search trying to identify this one, but was unable to find any photos that match the distinctive color pattern on this dragonfly's tail. I am wondering if this is a local variant of one of the common species.

No comments:

Post a Comment