Tuesday, July 12, 2011

White-tailed Deer; Urban Wildlife

I had mentioned in a previous post that white-tailed deer are very common in many areas of San Antonio north of Loop 410. Deer are one of the larger, normally free ranging animals that, given an adequate amount of green space, can adapt surprisingly well to the urban environment.

While they tend to remain elusive, there are many deer in McAllister Park. I happened on three of them during my walk yesterday and this time managed to get a few photos:




The following photos are an older fawn of the doe in the first three photos. The fawn was about thirty yards from its mother, so I was able to get photos of both without moving to a new location:





Later on my walk, I happened across another doe. Actually, I had seen it cross a dry creek bed and head into some heavy underbrush. I new generally what direction it had gone and that the trail I was walking would come fairly close to where it likely stopped. All I had to do then was stay alert and try not to spook it as I approached:




As I have also mentioned in previous posts, these are the experiences that keep me going back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment