Friday, July 8, 2011

North Salado Creek Greenway, Voelcker Lane Trailhead North

Today's photos:





















This section of the Salado Creek Greenway goes from Blanco Road at Voelker Lane north to Huebner Road. The entire distance is about two miles one way. I managed to walk about half way to Huebner Road today.

Unfortunately, there isn't a trailhead with parking at Huebner Road so I'm still trying to figure out a way to walk the second half. I can handle two miles fairly comfortably. The four mile round trip of the entire trail may be pushing the limit. But then, that is a problem for another day.

One thing I should point out is that this area of San Antonio has a fairly large population of white tail deer. A doe and a large fawn bound across the trail just a few yards in front of me as I was walking along.

It has always amazed me how deer can run at a breakneck speed through fairly dense brush without making a sound. I didn't hear them coming and was quite honestly startled as they leapt across the trail so close in front of me. Needless to say, I didn't have time to raise the camera, much less take a photo.

I had some expectation of seeing deer Wednesday evening when I walked the Water Loop Trail. I wasn't expecting to see them today on the run in the middle of the day. One thing I have learned over the years is to always expect the unexpected. But there are always some photos that get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment